MB Estate

* Share your regions, projects and objects with others
* Hier kannst du deine Projekte und Objekte vorstellen

Re: MB Estate

Beitragvon Lena Vanilli » So 6. Sep 2015, 15:21

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Great analytics, Magnuz! You are right: Your region stats showing us, how to value the stats of the grids. And also Marias numbers. ;)
Alles wird gut!
Lena Vanilli
Administrator

Metropolis explorer map down

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Fr 8. Jan 2016, 13:29

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

The Metropolis explorer map in the region Map has been down for a few months now, and here comes a long overdue explanation.

The map uses several thousands of map tile textures, and whenever the sim restarts, it bombards the Metropolis asset service with requests to see if all those textures are up to date. Normally, this happens once per night during low-traffic time, and then the effect on the asset service isn't noticed much. However, if the sim crashes during high-traffic time, the added load from all the requests when it restarts causes more or less a DoS (denial of service) attack on the Metropolis central services and brings the entire grid almost to a halt. Part of the reason is that the server I run the sim for the map region on has a better connection to the Metropolis central services than even the inter-connection between some of the Metropolis central services, so the request flooding gets much harsher than from other sims having similar texture loads.

After discussions with Lena Vanilli and Zak Spot, I decided to stop the map generation and remove the map tiled prims until a solution can be found that doesn't risk the function of the entire Metropolis grid. Once such a solution is found, I hope to be able to bring the map back, but that hasn't happened yet, and I don't know when it can happen.
Magnuz Binder

Excuses, excuses...

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Fr 8. Jan 2016, 13:34

This may not be so relevant for Metropolis, but I felt I needed to get it off my chest after some recent events.

Some might have noticed I haven't been all that active in Metropolis lately. There are several reasons for this, and most of them kind of good for me personally.

November 2014, Maggie and I became a real life couple as she moved from Prague in Czech Republic to Stockholm in Sweden, so we could live together. By then, we had known each other for more than 5 years in virtual worlds, on Skype and by several visits to Stockholm, Prague, and other places. However, living together took away some of the need to spend time in virtual worlds together, and Maggie has also found an interest in other online games which makes her even more sparse than me in Metropolis and other OpenSimulator worlds.

During spring 2015, I spent quite a bit of time contributing code patches to OpenSimulator core, fixing a number of flaws and supplying a physics engine independent raytrace function (optional, but which may be a good thing with the present chaos of several non-compatible physics engines: Open Dynamics Engine, Bullet and ubODE).

September 2015, Maggie and I became the happy "parents" of our charming little (ehrm, OK 7 kg) baby (ehrm, OK 2 years) kitten "Svenne" ("Swedish Guy" or "Male Virgin"), who makes us smile every day, except on those few occasions when he drives his attempts to provoke for attention a bit too far by peeing in beds, shitting on carpets and similar. His soft fur (most probably some British Blue/Shorthair in the mix) and his cuddliness has earned him the nickname "Kudde" ("Pillow").

During autumn 2015, I have been heavily engaged in and spent several hundred hours on providing material and information to keep OpenSimulator in the race for a project which could have brought showcase, content and development worth more than 1 million Euros over a five year period, and possibly substantially more as spin-off effects. Unfortunately, I got official notice today that the board decided OpenSimulator no longer is a candidate owing to immaturity and instability of the project, lack of management, code quality and documentation, even though they found the features of OpenSimulator very appealing and probably the best suited of the candidates for the project.

It feels sad and disappointing, but was no real surprise, after I was asked to read and comment on the technical evaluation of OpenSimulator from the project before Christmas. Anyway, at least it made a few more important people aware of the existance and qualities of OpenSimulator, and might bring new opportunities in the future. Also, parts of my background work will live on as the statistics presentations in the Metropolis region MB Estates and on the web ( http://5.9.108.75/gridstats/ ), where there is now a live compilation of stats for some 380 OpenSimulator grids updated twice per hour. I will probably also translate parts of my information material into English and make it available, since it seems to have marketed OpenSimulator well in the first place (already started at http://5.9.108.75/opensimulator.html ).

Even if it feels a bit heavy right now, I will keep hanging around OpenSimulator, although probably sparsely inworld. I'm still working on some improvements to the statistics and also have some new ideas I want to try out when I'm in a better mood to try and create some inworld.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Eryn Galen » Fr 8. Jan 2016, 14:09

Thanks for the very personal update Magnuz. Sounds like an eventful time for you. It's a pity that your visits are more sparse, but good to know that you will not completely disappear :)
Eryn Galen

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Fr 8. Jan 2016, 15:34

Having watched your recent postings in g+ and on HGB...and seeing the responses...I had kinda gotten a feeling something was up.

It is wonderful to hear you and Maggie have moved in together-) And it does surely sound like some good personal things happening.

I appreciate the things you do and hope you don't leave altogether.

thank you
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

MB Estate vanity stats

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » So 1. Jan 2017, 15:11

Two years ago, I started compiling extensive stats for MB Estate, my and my partner Maggie's regions in Metropolis. Part of it was a general curiosity about traffic patterns, but part was also to see if I had managed to create something that was of interest to others. Most of what I create is for my own sake, for fun or for the challenge of it, but part is also wanting to share some things I hope can be of use and joy to others. People in OpenSimulator worlds aren't all that great in communicating likes, so visitor stats is almost the only way to find recognition, and sometimes that's needed as motivation to keep going.

During these last two years, the 66 MB Estate regions have received 9432 visits from 2022 unique visitors, representing in total 203 grids and 56 countries, spending in total 50.1 days (72100 minutes) there. 50.7% (4784) of those visits are via the hypergrid from 202 grids other than Metropolis, representing 56.0% (1133) of the unique visitors and 58.7% (29.4 days = 42317 minutes) of the time. Visits and time spent by Magnuz and Maggie Binder are excluded.

The most popular individual regions by time spent are:
Terrains 53.9% (38835 minutes),
Maggie's 6.6% (4754 minutes),
Terrains 2 4.8% (3477 minutes),
MB Estates 3.8% (2769 minutes),
Astronomy 3.0% (2205 minutes),
Map 2.8% (2029 minutes),
Europe C 2.5% (1783 minutes),
Railway 2.4% (1719 minutes),
Maggie 2.3% (1662 minutes),
Terrains 4 2.0% (1409 minutes),
Media 1.8% (1274 minutes),
Earth 1.5% (1110 minutes),
Terrains 1 1.3% (945 minutes),
Terrains 8 1.2% (893 minutes),
MB Sea 65 1.2% (830 minutes),
Maze 1.1% (822 minutes),
Terrains 3 1.0% (698 minutes).

If one groups the regions as
Terrain shop (Terrains, Terrains 1, Terrains 2, Terrains 3, Terrains 4, Terrains 5, Terrains 6, Terrains 7, Terrains 8, Terrains 9, Terrains 10, MB Sea 65),
Europe map (Europe C, Europe E, Europe N, Europe NE, Europe NW, Europe S, Europe SE, Europe SW, Europe W),
Maggie's regions (Maggie, Maggie's),
the most popular destinations are
Terrain shop 66.5% (47967 minutes),
Maggie's regions 8.9% (6416 minutes),
Europe map 4.5% (3235 minutes),
MB Estates 3.8% (2769 minutes),
Astronomy 3.1% (2205 minutes).

The most active visitors by time spent and per grid are from
Metropolis 41.3% (29783 minutes),
Great Canadian Grid 18.4% (13276 minutes),
OSGrid 11.4% (8185 minutes),
DigiWorldZ 4.1% (2992 minutes),
Genesis Metaverse 3.9% (2793 minutes),
Kitely 2.4% (1729 minutes),
Lost Paradise 1.1% (789 minutes),
Craft World 1.0% (724 minutes),
3RD Rock Grid 1.0% (712 minutes),
DiscoveryGrid 1.0% (688 minutes).

The most active visitors by time spent and per country are from
USA 38.7% (27867 minutes),
Germany 24.3% (17544 minutes),
Canada 5.3% (3820 minutes),
United Kingdom 5.3% (3786 minutes),
Brazil 4.4% (3185 minutes),
Australia 4.2% (3019 minutes),
Netherlands 3.7% (2655 minutes),
Spain 2.4% (1756 minutes),
Sweden 1.8% (1274 minutes),
France 1.2% (858 minutes),
Italy 1.1% (824 minutes),
Denmark 1.0% (717 minutes).

If MB Estate would be a standalone grid, it would rank as number 12-15 by land area, according to Hypergrid Business' stats, mainly owing to the 10 varregions in the Terrain shop, making a total land area corresponding to 504 legacy (256x256 m) regions. It would rank as number 30-50 by actives, with an active count varying between 100 and 160, and an average of 134 during 2016.

Owing to the rather low numbers, statistics fluctuate a lot over time, but one trend that is clearly seen even in this material is an increase of hypergridders, from about 25% in early 2015 to about 65% in late 2016. This should be kept in mind when reading about an increase of total actives in OpenSimulator worlds (Hypergrid Business), since much of this is probably rather an increase of hypergridders, being counted multiple times as unique actives in most grids they visit by hypergrid. That probably also causes the slowing growth of "actives" during 2016, since on the MB Estate regions, they increased from 25% to 55% during 2015, but "only" from 55% to 65% during 2016.

Still, what I think touches me the most with this little statistics exercise is the fact that a few regions in Metropolis have been visited by people from 56 countries around the world, on all continents but Antarctica. I myself have only visited 21 of those countries (labeled with an asterisk below), so I guess I have some travelling to do if I want to repay the courtesy and make reciprocal (real-life) visits to each of the countries:
USA*, Germany*, Canada, United Kingdom*, Brazil, Australia, Netherlands*, Spain*, Sweden*, France*, Italy*, Denmark*, Switzerland, Japan, Greece*, Portugal*, Austria, Russia*, Venezuela, Finland*, Norway*, New Zealand, Belgium*, Ireland*, Peru, Senegal, Argentina, Hungary*, Latvia*, Puerto Rico, Slovenia, Kazakhstan, Poland*, Saudi Arabia, Czech Republic*, Barbados, Israel, Luxembourg, United Arab Emirates, Bulgaria, Hong Kong, Cyprus, Thailand, Chile, Mexico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Iceland, Morocco, South Africa, Lithuania, Ukraine, Estonia*, India, Romania, Turkey.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Minethere Always » So 1. Jan 2017, 17:06

I need to hire you to figure the area of a part of my unfinished home lol

My math stinks, most of it just forgotten.

I love reading your stats reports and find it very interesting. It helps to gather a better general view of things going on.
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Vorherige

Zurück zu Showcase