Multiple instances of OpenSimulator

* All about the Test-Grid in Metropolis
* Alles über das Test-Grid in Metropolis

Multiple instances of OpenSimulator

Beitragvon Sheera Khan » Sa 7. Sep 2013, 10:26

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Hi Testers,

sometimes it might be desirable to have ones standard regions and a testing region available at the same time - but alas, you only have one computer for that. What to do?

You can run your standard regions running your standard configuration as before. Additionally you do:

Create a new - separate - database for your testregion (if you didn't already). You don't need a new MySQL-Server, just a new database in it. Put the access data in the include-config/GridCommon.ini:
Code: Alles auswählen
    StorageProvider = "OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll"
    ConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;Database=testsim;User ID=testuser;Password=TestPassword;Old Guids=true;"

(those aren't my actual data^^)
Edit: You can use the exact same data for the DB-connection as in your other instances of the simulator.

For the test-server you do some tweaks to the configuration files:

In the file OpenSim.ini you change the value for http_listener_port to a number not in use on your computer (i.e. 9001):
[Network]

;# {http_listener_port} {} {TCP Port for this simulator to listen on? (This must be unique to the simulator!)} {} 9000
    ;; Simulator HTTP port. This is not the region port, but the port the
    ;; entire simulator listens on. This port uses the TCP protocol, while
    ;; the region ports use UDP.
    http_listener_port = 9001

In the file Regions/Regions.ini you set InternalPort to a number not used by any of your standard regions (i.e. 9065):
[TestRegion]
RegionUUID = "01234567-89ab-cdef-0123-456789abcdef"
Location = "XXXX,YYYY"
InternalAddress = "0.0.0.0"
InternalPort = 9065[/b]
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = "mycomp.no-ip.biz" ;DYNDNS adress here

Be sure to have portforwarding enabled for those ports in your router config.

Now you can start your testsimulator with (on a Linux console):
export LANG=C
mono OpenSim.exe -console=basic

After doing all that I now have two different simulators running on my box, serving several regions. I can TP from one standard region to the testregion by entering metrotest.hypergrid.org:8002:TestRegion in the map. TPs out to the Metropolis grid are working just fine too.

Have a lot of fun testing your regions
Zuletzt geändert von Sheera Khan am Mi 11. Mär 2015, 09:28, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: Added Zaks statement that no additional database is needed
Sheera Khan

Re: Multiple instances of OpenSimulator

Beitragvon bertl » Sa 7. Sep 2013, 10:33

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Thanks Sheera, great summary, I always changed the UUID of the region too, but that might not be neccessary :).
Ich achte nicht auf die Vernunft. Sie empfiehlt immer nur, was ein anderer gern möchte. E. Gaskell (1810-1865)
bertl

Beitragvon Shy Robbiani » Fr 27. Sep 2013, 23:57

I have a question not directly related to the test grid, but running two simulators. Is it necessary to run each simulator instance with it's own database, even if they are of the same version but differs in the [XEngine] and physics settings? Do I risk a dataloss if I share the same database?

To me it's clear that I will have to setup two databases in case I'm connecting to two grids. After I have read your instructions I feel uncertain about my situation, where both configurations run in the same grid und differs only in a slightly different configuration.
Am Ende wird alles gut. Wenn es nicht gut ist, ist es nicht das Ende.
Shy Robbiani

Beitragvon Sheera Khan » Sa 28. Sep 2013, 00:42

I'm not quite sure, I guess we'll have to wait on somebody else to comment on that....
Sheera Khan

Beitragvon Zak Spot » Sa 28. Sep 2013, 01:28

Hi Shy,

the regions in the database are defined by the RegionUUID in the Regions.ini. You can have many different regions on different simulators running in one database even from different grids as long as they have different UUIDs.

Greetings
Zak
"Metropolis machts möglich." - sloganizer.net
Zak Spot

Beitragvon Mareta Dagostino » Sa 28. Sep 2013, 05:44

Helloo Shy,

if you don't feel good with two OpenSim instances in one database, for example because you want to have the possibility of separate database restores, you can simply create two ones in the same Mysql or Mariadb instance. You can simply call them opensim1 and opensim2 for example (and modify the ini files of OpenSim).

Greetings,
Mareta
https://hyperweb.eu => Server-Tutorial für Linux mit OpenSim, konfigurierter OpenSim Arriba Binärdownload!
Mareta Dagostino

Beitragvon Shy Robbiani » Sa 28. Sep 2013, 15:48

Danke :-) Zur Zeit bevorzuge ich die Datenbanken nicht zu trennen. Auf diese Weise kann ich ohne weiteren Aufwand eine Region von einem Simulator zum andern zügeln. Alles was ich dabei machen muss ist die Region aus der einen Regions.ini auszutragen und in der andern einzutragen.
Am Ende wird alles gut. Wenn es nicht gut ist, ist es nicht das Ende.
Shy Robbiani

Zurück zu MetroTest