OAR AutoBackup Tutorial -english- OpenSimulator

* Tutorials about servers, viewers and simulators
* Anleitungen über Server, Viewer und Simulatoren

OAR AutoBackup Tutorial -english- OpenSimulator

Beitragvon Zak Spot » Mo 3. Jun 2013, 20:13

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

A short tutorial how to use the OpenSimulator OAR AutoBackup-function for daily backups

First you have to add these lines to your OpenSim.ini at the end of the file:
Code: Alles auswählen
[AutoBackupModule]
AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true

You have to add the following lines (start from addition) in your Region.ini under each region block. Every region can be configured individually. The explanation is appended.
;Example: Regions.ini [My_World1] has autobackup enabled [My_World2] has autobackup disabled.

[My_World1]
 Location = "700x,700x"
 InternalAddress = "0.0.0.0"
 InternalPort = 9051
 AllowAlternatePorts = False
 ExternalHostName = "SYSTEMIP"
;*****************************
;Autobackup - Addition for region1
AutoBackup = True              ;True = Backup enabled for this region || False = Backup disabled for this region
AutoBackupInterval = 1380      ;Interval in minutes. 1380 minutes = backup every 23 hours
AutoBackupNaming = "Overwrite" ;Filename always "YourRegionname.oar" (explanation below)
                               ;"Overwrite" = overwrites old file. Saves disk capacity.
                               ;"Time" = New File with timestamp appended on every backup. More diskspace is needed!
AutoBackupDir = "."            ;Backup Path Standard "." (directory of the OpenSim.exe). Could be changed to "C:\Backups" for example
AutoBackupAgentThreshold = 3   ;Backup is skipped when there are more than 3 people on the region

[My_World2]
 Location = "700x,700x"
 InternalAddress = "0.0.0.0"
 InternalPort = 9052
 AllowAlternatePorts = False
 ExternalHostName = "SYSTEMIP"
;Autobackup - Addition for region2
AutoBackup = False
"Metropolis machts möglich." - sloganizer.net
Zak Spot

Re: OAR AutoBackup Tutorial -english- OpenSimulator

Beitragvon Richardus Raymaker » Mo 3. Jun 2013, 21:53

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Just want to write a warning. it seems that with 0.7.6dev there are problems with the autobackup.
For some people it seems to fail or not work correct.

I know metro is still running 0.7.5
Richardus Raymaker

Beitragvon Richardus Raymaker » Di 4. Jun 2013, 00:24

Some other advise. dont write the bacup to the same disk.
Alternative you could use a hugh USB stick to backup the oar if you have no other grood backup.
But still backup the backup after a while to cd.
Richardus Raymaker

Beitragvon mmetzmac » Sa 16. Jan 2016, 11:49

Using Metro 083Plus Edition and setup OpenSim.ini and Regions.ini as described. It seems, that the Backup Module is not working at all. Looking at the console and firing a dobackup <Region Name> gives the following error:

Region (3DGrid) # dobackup 3DGrid       
10:43:32 - Command error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule.DoRegionBackup (IScene scene) [0x00000]: in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule.DoBackup (System.String module, System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Framework.Console.Commands.Resolve (System.String[] cmd) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Framework.Console.LocalConsole.ReadLine (System.String p, Boolean isCommand, Boolean e) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Framework.Console.CommandConsole.Prompt () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Application.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Additional Info: initiating a restart (within console) gives the following error message:

Region (3DGrid) # restart
10:55:59 - [REGION]: Restarting region 3DGrid
10:55:59 - [SCENE]: Closing down the single simulator: 3DGrid
10:56:00 - [EVENT MANAGER]: Delegate for TriggerShutdown failed - continuing.  Object reference not set to an instance of an object   at OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.World.AutoBackup.AutoBackupModule.OpenSim.Region.Framework.Interfaces.IRegionModuleBase.RemoveRegion (OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.ApplicationPlugins.RegionModulesController.RegionModulesControllerPlugin.RemoveRegionFromModules (OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase.ShutdownRegion (OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.OpenSimBase+<>c__DisplayClass3.<CreateRegion>b__2 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.EventManager.TriggerShutdown () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Does anyone know, whether it makes sense to continue searching a solution for the AutoBackup module or is it better to run for a bash script, passing a "save oar" command to the screen, the simulation is running on?

Thanks
Markus
Manny Emor
mmetzmac

Beitragvon Mareta Dagostino » Sa 16. Jan 2016, 12:15

Well, I don't know if the feature has ever worked well or not. I sometimes do "save oar" from console and I have set up an automatic SQL database backup on a daily basis. I found very few information about that module even though it was implemented years ago for 0.7.x, it seems for me that this module is not maintained in actual OpenSim versions. There is no difference between Metro edition and regular OpenSim in that case, so maybe you can find some Mantis entries?
https://hyperweb.eu => Server-Tutorial für Linux mit OpenSim, konfigurierter OpenSim Arriba Binärdownload!
Mareta Dagostino

Beitragvon mmetzmac » Sa 16. Jan 2016, 13:06

So, I got it. Zak described a splitted solution: enabling the Modul in OpenSim.ini AND putting the parameter into Regions.ini. Looking at the code (https://searchcode.com/codesearch/view/39443810/) and a post (http://opensimulator.org/pipermail/opensim-users/2015-February/014229.html) in the user list is telling, that the function must either be enabled and configured in OpenSim.ini OR Regions.ini.

I've successfully tested the setup with OpenSim.ini as I'm running a distributed configuration with one master OpenSim.ini and separate OpenSim.ini files for different Region configurations. My test writes oar files every 5 minutes.

Code in OpenSim.ini:
[AutoBackupModule]
     AutoBackupModuleEnabled = true
     AutoBackup = true
     AutoBackupNaming = time
     AutoBackupInterval = 5
     AutoBackupSkipAssets = true
     AutoBackupKeepFilesForDays = 5
     AutoBackupDir = /home/opensim/simulation/oar-backup/

LL on the output directory:
opensim@devel ~/simulation/oar-backup $ ll
total 920
drwxrwxr-x  2 opensim opensim   4096 Jan 16 11:59 ./
drwxrwxr-x 10 opensim opensim   4096 Jan 16 10:19 ../
-rw-rw-r--  1 opensim opensim 231001 Jan 16 11:46 3DGrid_2016y_1M_16d_11h_46m_11s.oar
-rw-rw-r--  1 opensim opensim 231002 Jan 16 11:49 3DGrid_2016y_1M_16d_11h_49m_56s.oar
-rw-rw-r--  1 opensim opensim 231002 Jan 16 11:54 3DGrid_2016y_1M_16d_11h_54m_56s.oar
-rw-rw-r--  1 opensim opensim 231003 Jan 16 11:59 3DGrid_2016y_1M_16d_11h_59m_56s.oar
opensim@devel ~/simulation/oar-backup $

Console message:
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Writing archive for region 3DGrid to /home/opensim/simulation/oar-backup/3DGrid_2016y_1M_16d_11h_59m_56s.oar
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Creating version 0.8 OAR
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Added control file to archive.
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Writing region 3DGrid
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding region settings to archive.
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding parcel settings to archive.
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding terrain information to archive.
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Adding scene objects to archive.
11:59:56 - [ARCHIVER]: Finished writing out OAR for 3DGrid
Region (3DGrid) #

The shown approach enables the user to setup different archiving scenarios for different Regions. Maybe one is willing to test the same but in Regions.ini?

Cheers
Markus
Zuletzt geändert von mmetzmac am Sa 16. Jan 2016, 13:17, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Manny Emor
mmetzmac

Beitragvon Mareta Dagostino » Sa 16. Jan 2016, 13:12

Hi Markus,

thank you for figuring that out and sharing it with the community. Again we see the incompleteness of OpenSim documentation...

Kind regards,
Mareta
https://hyperweb.eu => Server-Tutorial für Linux mit OpenSim, konfigurierter OpenSim Arriba Binärdownload!
Mareta Dagostino

Zurück zu Technical Tutorials / Technische Anleitungen