Confusion about metro-opensim-releases

* Technical questions about the grid, servers and viewers
* Technische Fragen über das Grid, Server und die Viewer

Confusion about metro-opensim-releases

Beitragvon frost » Sa 5. Dez 2015, 10:56

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Hi all,

I'm kinda confused. On the hypergrid.org download site, there's a 0.8.3_DEV_PLUS version of opensim.

However, the official upstream opensim will never have a 0.8.3 release. Instead the release following 0.8.2 will be 0.9.0.0.

Elsewhere on this forum (in this thread: https://forum.hypergrid.org/opensim-support/the-move-to-0-8-3-t4359-10.html, Zak said:

short notice: 0.8.3 skipped. moving to 0.9.

Yet, there is a 0.8.3 metropolis version for download now?

What is in this 0.8.3 version? Is the source code published somewhere? How does this metropolis release relate to the official upstream code (which is published)?
frost

Re: Confusion about metro-opensim-releases

Beitragvon Zak Spot » Sa 5. Dez 2015, 13:16

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Hi Frost,

yes right. Its the 0.8.3 dev version before the 0.9 merge (http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=vie ... ionInfo.cs). The 0.9 version is currently not recommendable from our point of view. Yes i wrote 083 "skipped" but i did not know at that point how messed up the 0.9 version is. As soon as there is a state reached which we can recommend we will switch to 0.9.

The reason why there is a 0.8.3 download is that we had prepared and tested this version over weeks and it would be a waste of time if it would not be downloadable. You already know this version from the avatarfest. From my point of view one of the stablest versions we had so far. The main reason is that we changed some grid service configurations in this download to speed up land connections, teleports etc.

Greetings
Zak
"Metropolis machts möglich." - sloganizer.net
Zak Spot

Beitragvon frost » Sa 5. Dez 2015, 13:20

Hi Zak,

Zak Spot hat geschrieben:Hi Frost,

yes right. Its the 0.8.3 dev version before the 0.9 merge (http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=vie ... ionInfo.cs). The 0.9 version is currently not recommendable from our point of view. Yes i wrote 083 "skipped" but i did not know at that point how messed up the 0.9 version is. As soon as there is a state reached which we can recommend we will switch to 0.9.

The reason why there is a 0.8.3 download is that we had prepared and tested this version over weeks and it would be a waste of time if it would not be downloadable. You already know this version from the avatarfest. From my point of view one of the stablest versions we had so far. The main reason is that we changed some grid service configurations in this download to speed up land connections, teleports etc.

Greetings
Zak

Ahh thanks for the clarification :)

Yes, I know about the current state of the 0.9 version, and i wouldn't want to run it for anything else than testing myself. Way too many issues that need to be resolved first (weird exceptions when shutting down for example, or unexplained timeouts when loading certain scripts at startup, etc.. etc..).

I think it's important to remember that the version number in metropolis releases is not a 1-on-1 mapping to upstream opensim release versions. For example, 0.8.2_DEV_PLUS from metro came out weeks (months?) before 0.8.2 from opensim itself was released.

Thanks for all the hard work you and the rest of the metro admin team have put into testing and stabilizing the upstream code!
frost

Beitragvon Zak Spot » Sa 5. Dez 2015, 13:42

Yes right Dev(elopment Version) indicates that its not Rel(ease Version). But it indicates that its not a post fixes or something of the release before e.g. 0.8.2 Dev is younger than 0.8.1 Rel but not older than 0.8.2 Rel. Hope it helps to clarify a bit. Last but not least we only use versions that we can recommend.
"Metropolis machts möglich." - sloganizer.net
Zak Spot

Beitragvon frost » Sa 5. Dez 2015, 14:06

Zak Spot hat geschrieben:Hi Frost,

Greetings
Zak

Still, some questions about the diff on OpenSim.ini (linux download):

Code: Alles auswählen
    ; physics = OpenDynamicsEngine
    physics = BulletSim
    ; physics = basicphysics

In the old OpenSim.ini it was OpenDynamicsEngine, it is now BulletSim, any specific reason for this change?

;# {region_manager_is_god} {} {Allow region manager gods} {true false} false
    ;; Allow region managers to assume god powers in regions they manage
    region_manager_is_god = true

In the old OpenSim.ini this was false, any specific reason why it is true now?

AppDomainLoading = true

The recommended value for linux is false, true will lead to memory leakage on upstream opensim. I don't believe this is fixed on metro branch, so why set it on true in the metro version?

And just a gentle request: it would be nice if there are no whitespace changes or other trivial changes (ie, removing ; before settings that are at their default value). This would make the diff much smaller and make upgrading a bit easier :)

Thanks again,

Tom

ps: cool that the grid-services now also use https url's instead of http!
frost

Beitragvon pibani » So 23. Mai 2021, 07:12

I would also motivate just about every person to save this web page for any favorite assistance to assist posted the appearance. 輝瑞威而鋼
pibani

Beitragvon pibani » So 11. Jul 2021, 09:28

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. read more
pibani

Beitragvon pibani » Fr 23. Jul 2021, 18:29

Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! EMF Protection
pibani

Beitragvon pibani » So 8. Aug 2021, 08:26

Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post . mk 677 for muscle growth
pibani

Zurück zu Technical Support / Technische Unterstützung