Metropolis Translator problems

* General themes about Metropolis
* Generelle Themen über Metropolis

Re: Metropolis Translator problems

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Mi 24. Dez 2014, 11:14

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

I have had some time to work on a proxy solution with cached translations. That would reduce the load on the free quota of e.g. the Microsoft Bing/Azure Translator service Metropolis use now. The same translation will not need to be requested from the translation service for several people in the same conversation, and repeated requests, like from gestures, will only need to be handled once.

I have the communication with the Microsoft Azure Translator up and working, a database cache set up and working, am dealing with the exact logistics of the request to minimize the risk for "race conditions", and will need to modify the in-world translator some to use the new service. Once I have it all done I will publish it open-source so Metropolis or any other interested party can decide if they want to use it, and modify it if desired. No ETA yet though, since I have a regular life on my agenda too, which takes precedence.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Mareta Dagostino » Mi 24. Dez 2014, 11:31

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Great! All the best wishes for coding and much more for the regular life, of course!

Merry Christmas,
Mareta
https://hyperweb.eu => Server-Tutorial für Linux mit OpenSim, konfigurierter OpenSim Arriba Binärdownload!
Mareta Dagostino

Beitragvon Lena Vanilli » Mi 24. Dez 2014, 11:35

Wow! Thank you so much, Magnuz!

Merry Christmas!
Lena
Alles wird gut!
Lena Vanilli
Administrator

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Fr 26. Dez 2014, 10:27

I have what appears to be a fully functional new language translation system now, including backend shell scripts with a database cache, a frontend LSL script with language settings, and some documentation.

Still, there are a few more fine tunings to make, regarding e.g. the order of languages in the LSL language picker. Bing/Azure offers 45 languages at present, so with 10 languages per page, that means 5 pages of language buttons to browse. My thought is to rank the 10 most commonly used languages on the first page, and then add the rest in alphabetical order.

From my experience, the most common languages represented in Metropolis are German, English and Dutch. I have also, although rarely, "heard" Spanish, Russian, French, Italian and Japanese, plus of course Czech and Swedish from Maggie and me.

Does anyone have some better statistics than my gut feeling to base a ranking on? The available languages to rank are:

ar = Arabic
bg = Bulgarian
ca = Catalan
zh-CHS = Chinese Simplified
zh-CHT = Chinese Traditional
cs = Czech
da = Danish
nl = Dutch
en = English
et = Estonian
fi = Finnish
fr = French
de = German
el = Greek
ht = Haitian Creole
he = Hebrew
hi = Hindi
mww = Hmong Daw
hu = Hungarian
id = Indonesian
it = Italian
ja = Japanese
tlh = Klingon
tlh-Qaak = Klingon (pIqaD)
ko = Korean
lv = Latvian
lt = Lithuanian
ms = Malay
mt = Maltese
no = Norwegian
fa = Persian
pl = Polish
pt = Portuguese
ro = Romanian
ru = Russian
sk = Slovak
sl = Slovenian
es = Spanish
sv = Swedish
th = Thai
tr = Turkish
uk = Ukrainian
ur = Urdu
vi = Vietnamese
cy = Welsh
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon oddball otoole » Sa 27. Dez 2014, 20:46

Awesome work Magnuz.

About the languages I think German, English, Dutch and French are the most spoken languages (in my personal experience).
«Oddball ist anders als die Anderen.»
oddball otoole

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » So 28. Dez 2014, 13:37

Thank you for the feedback, Mareta, Lena and Odd. I found some old statistics on nationalities in SL and used it as a base for the ranking in the translator.

I posted the full documentation and scripts for the translator in a scripting thread here at the forum opensim-scripting/translator-t4005.html , and made a full perms, fully functional sample of the translator made from it available at the Metropolis region Media (126,136,30) hop://hypergrid.org:8002/Media/128/134/28
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Mo 29. Dez 2014, 16:29

I got it and it works when I am alone so I still need to further test it around people...[people? omg!!]
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Sa 3. Jan 2015, 22:17

I can say it works very well in multiple grids. My eyes glazed on the instructions, so is it ok to pass to friends or just send them to your region?
Minethere Always

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Sa 3. Jan 2015, 23:46

Thank you for beta-testing it for me, Minethere. The translator and the backend is published public domain / CC0 here in the forum, so it's free to distribute. The worst that can happen if too many start using it in its default configuration is that it eats up the free quota from Microsoft Translator it uses. But there are instructions how to set up an own backend on Ubuntu, so I guess those who want to can solve that and just point their translators to another backend if so.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Minethere Always » So 4. Jan 2015, 13:59

I should point them to this thread where you explain it all then. I am enjoying none of those errors the other was having so much of too-)
Minethere Always

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu General Themes / Generelle Themen