A new hypergrid destinations directory

* General themes about Metropolis
* Generelle Themen über Metropolis

A new hypergrid destinations directory

Beitragvon satyrhuman » Mi 4. Feb 2015, 15:59

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Hi Metros,

We would like to let you know about a new hypergrid website/directory we are making called OpenSimWorld . Our directory lists the registered regions that are active as well as the number of avatars on each region. You can add your own region by rezzing our beacon object to your region. The region listings are available on the website and are also accessible from inworld through our HUD. It's a concept similar to the hypergates, but additionaly you can find out which regions have visitors and access them instantly anytime through the HUD.

We are currently looking to add more regions to test our system.

If you are interested, head to http://opensimworld.com/ for instructions on how to add your region.

Cheers,
Satyr
satyrhuman

Re: A new hypergrid destinations directory

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Mi 4. Feb 2015, 17:17

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

This appears to be Metropolis only. Will you be adding the ability for other grids to participate? And in that case would they be listed with their HG address as now just shows the region name?
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Beitragvon satyrhuman » Mi 4. Feb 2015, 17:24

This is not limited to metropolis. As you can see some regions are in other grids already. If you click on the region name you can find the complete hypergrid address as well as links to visit it.
satyrhuman

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Mi 4. Feb 2015, 18:08

ah, sorry i had not clicked them the first go around, my apologies...I will share this around and do my own soon..thx-)
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Beitragvon Qu Qork » Mi 4. Feb 2015, 19:44

Good job Satyr :-). I put the beacon on two regions - one inside Metro and one in another OS-grid (ATEK). Using the HUD, I could easily TP and HG-TP in both directions.
Qu Qork

Beitragvon frost » Do 5. Feb 2015, 10:56

Awesome, this is the missing link! An active index of opensim worlds all across the grid!

However, I got the beacon and tried to look inside. I can't see what the script does exactly, which is a pity. I am hesistant to put a beacon on my regions with a script that does I don't know what - there's the privacy of my visitors to think of.

Also, I see i'm not even allowed to know what's going on inside the beacon, according to the terms: "You may not decompile or disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover any source code contained in the Service."

I'd love to put the beacon on my land and become part of the directory, but could you please make it possible for me to see what the beacon actually does?

Tnx,

Tom
frost

Beitragvon frost » Do 5. Feb 2015, 12:22

I just had a quick look at the iar, which of course does contain the text of the beacon script. I hope i'm not pissing anyone off by doing so, but it has put my mind at rest.

The script is rather innocent, and only collects the info it needs. Every 60 seconds it will count the number of avatars in the region, and send that number to the opensimworld server. It doesn't send any information about who the avatars are to the server.

So my mind is at ease, and i'll happily put the beacon on my regions. Thanks for a great initiative!
frost

Beitragvon satyrhuman » Do 5. Feb 2015, 14:17

Hi frost. I didn't realize the script was no modify. i have changed it and you get it in the .iar or from the region now . The code is also published here: https://github.com/opensimworld/OSTools ... beacon.lsl

Just to be clear, we also collect your region's name, the beacon's position within the region, and its adult rating.
satyrhuman

Beitragvon frost » Do 5. Feb 2015, 16:59

Awesome, thanks! And again, thumbs up for setting this up, really useful and filling a gap in the hypergrid world.

A few remarks: I see my newly added region, which I put in category 'Other', has now been in category 'Mall' and is currently in category 'Venues'. Wonder how that happens?

Also, on the main page there are 'next' and 'prev' arrows but they seem to be non-functional.

Tnx,

Tom
frost

Beitragvon satyrhuman » Do 5. Feb 2015, 17:05

Hi Tom.. That is our fault. Due to an error we lost some region's categories. You can go to your region's page and change it again. Sorry for the trouble :)
satyrhuman

Nächste

Zurück zu General Themes / Generelle Themen