Odds Playground

* Share your regions, projects and objects with others
* Hier kannst du deine Projekte und Objekte vorstellen

Odds Playground

Beitragvon oddball otoole » Mo 3. Mär 2014, 03:09

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

I have this little region here on Metro.
It's a well hosted region; daily back-ups, lots of computer power, awesome folks to take care of any issue that might happen, easy region management via website, 45.000 prims (YAY!), and some more useful stuff that are under construction!
[SPAM]I rent my region here: http://www.hypergrid.org/metropolis/wiki/en/index.php/SIM-Miete[/SPAM]

And I call this region 'Odds playground' (search for it on the in-world map!)

A little history...

I (Oddy) started playing SL way back in 2006 or 2007 orso. I met some nice folks from the home of wooden shoes, windmills, coffee shops and the Amsterdam red light district.
We had loads of fun back in the old days: Weekly grid maintenance on Wednesday (The whole of SL went off-line, and we couldn't log in until the next Tuesday because the whole SL population was trying to log in at once.), NO flexi prims, NO sculpts, but we did have money chairs!!

So we had a good time. There were no Anti-push gadgets back then, so when ever someone was AFK, we pushed them in to a pool or something, we visited cool sims like the greenies, the path, the madpea stuff, and many more cool sims.
Friends came, and friends left SL. Friends from friends became friends. All was fun back then!

One of my friends in SL is a RL guitar player, and I happen to like guitars...Gary Moore, Slash, Malmsteam, Clapton, etc. At one point (probably after a couple of beers) we decided it was a good plan to create a guitar museum. So we did. Fast forward 6 months orso, and suddenly we were on SL's Destination Guide, had live music almost 24 hours on saturday and sunday, live gigs on friday evenenings and a couple of DJ's playing during weekdays. Suddenly a nice game became (almost) a 24/7 job!
That's no fun!
We decided that it was time to scale down things a bit, and that time I discovered OpenSim!!! And Opensim wasn't the opensim we know now back then! But hey, it was new, so some of my friends and me started to play with it. Most friends didn't like the lack of content, live music scene, lag, etc back then, so the went back to the Serious Lag grid. :-)
Some other friends kept visiting OpenSim grids.

Then Hiro became the end-boss on OSgrid and the ban-hammer was having good times...

Oddy (Me) decided it was time to leave the hiro grid and look for a new home.
10 minutes later I was a Metro resident. And a couple of days I started to rent a region from Metro. (link a bit up in this post)

The Present.
The region had some sort of 1940/1950's atmosphere when I started building it, but I am a big steampunk fan. So recently I started to rebuild the Playground.
I also have some folks that have a shop on my region, and I don't want my rebuilding means that they had to re-do their shop. So I had (and still am) to rebuild their shops in a way so that they did not have to do much work on their part to keep the shops as they were.
Essentially the region is a big mess now, but it is coming together....(See pics below)

The future.
No big plans. Maybe some more shopowners, maybe some more lag reducing steps on my side (smaller textures, better scripts, etc)

The Pics.

In random order:

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
«Oddball ist anders als die Anderen.»
oddball otoole

Re: Odds Playground

Beitragvon Dings Digital » Mo 3. Mär 2014, 09:40

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

It's a treasure! Great contribution to the VW community. And a lot of fun.
Dings Digital

Beitragvon Claro Laval » Mo 3. Mär 2014, 14:26

Thanks Oddy for a class in history of virtual Worlds! It has given some kind of backflash on how it used to be "way back than".
Everything seem to be less difficult, laughter came easier to us... oh and of course, poseballs were amazing and "friends" were "friends"!
Nowadays we struggle with technical issues.

Thanks Oddy for what you do and share on your Region in the Forums!

Servus ausm Steirerland!
Der Satan is aus Eisen, der Luzifer is aus Blei.
Der Teifl is aus Kupfer, leckts mich am Arsch alle Drei!
Claro Laval

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Mo 3. Mär 2014, 17:06

odd, but, oddly, cool-))))
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Beitragvon oddball otoole » Di 4. Mär 2014, 01:48

Thanks for the nice replies guys!

A quick update on what I have done today (I have 2 days off from my RL job, YAY!).

First thing I did today was building some sort of 'background' for a part of the region. Just some buildings that are actually just a couple of prims with textures on it. Their only purpose is background scenery.
The second thing I did was adding some lighting to the region, and changed the region windlight settings.
After that I was able to build a steampunk zeppelin! :!:

I am thinking about using the zeppelin for a toured guide, but I need to finish the region first.

The pics:

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
oddball otoole

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Di 4. Mär 2014, 10:26

fun fun fun!! and, btw, i want 7 days off from rl life..................
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Beitragvon bertl » Di 4. Mär 2014, 21:50

Wonderful pictures, /me loves steampunk too, well this has to be explored I guess, thanks Oddy.
Ich achte nicht auf die Vernunft. Sie empfiehlt immer nur, was ein anderer gern möchte. E. Gaskell (1810-1865)
bertl

Beitragvon Spike Sol » Mi 5. Mär 2014, 14:17

A lot of times I had to do in RL,

but since a few days I'm here again and bring the
"Weltraumbahnhof" to its latest stand

Oddy's teleporter I've made ​​new. This has become a truly remarkable region. Great job Oddy.

Many lovely details.

One should not just fly over it, but must look at how everything is built.
This is great.
Respect.

Spike
Bleibe neugierig

soloton.selfhost.eu:8002:Weltraumbahnhof
Spike Sol

Beitragvon oddball otoole » Di 4. Nov 2014, 23:13

Winter has arrived @ the playground!

It's snowing, it's dark, it's freezing, it's white, it's cold :o

Bild

Bild

And because it's sooooo cold, I decided to put most of the stuff I have created in vendors and set up a small shop.
Big fireplace, warm, light, nice... :D
Bild

It's still a WIP (Work In Progress), I'm still adding all kinds of new stuff, mostly mesh items. Here are some items that I have in store: Scripted mesh radios, mesh bookcase, mesh books, a mesh globe bar, winter items and much more.
Bild

On the second floor you will find some club equipment. I'll be adding more stuff there soon, I have tons of ideas!
Bild

Look on the in-world map for Odds Playground, or take the free taxi: hypergrid.org:8000/Odds Playground/129/131/24
oddball otoole

Zurück zu Showcase