MB Estate

* Share your regions, projects and objects with others
* Hier kannst du deine Projekte und Objekte vorstellen

Rubik's Cube

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Di 6. Jan 2015, 15:24

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

Do you remember the probably number one toy plague of the 1980's? The Rubik's Cube!

Bild Bild Bild
Rubik's Cube in the region MB Sea 75. (Click preview for full size image.)

It was invented by Erno Rubik, a Hungarian professor of architecture, in 1974, started selling in 1980, won awards for best puzzle that year, and has until today been sold in several hundreds of million copies. Now this toy comes to OpenSimulator virtual worlds. It's built as a smoothly animated object from 27 prims, full permissions, resizable, with one script permitting manual turning, reset, showing and hiding help text and arrows, setting usage to owner only or all, limiting access distance, randomizing the cube before trying to solve it, or letting it automatically twist and turn for as long as you want.

Bild
YouTube video of Rubik's Cube in the region MB Sea 75. (Click preview for video.)

The cube is available in the Metropolis region MB Sea 75 (secondlife://hypergrid.org:8002:MB%20Sea%2075), from a sales booth by the road around the eastern MB Estate islands there.
Magnuz Binder

Re: MB Estate

Beitragvon oddball otoole » Do 8. Jan 2015, 01:48

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

This thing sucks!!!

I can't peal of the colored stickers to solve the puzzle!!!

Am I supposed to twist and turn that thing to line all the colors or something? Jeez!
There should be a law against (VR) Cubik's Pubes, and against his cube too!

So, there! I have said it, this thing drives me wild!

Oh, btw, is there someone who can write an OpenSim module that links my RL Kubik Pube to my OpenSim Rubik's Cube?

All funny stuff aside: Awesome Magnuz!!
«Oddball ist anders als die Anderen.»
oddball otoole

Beitragvon Mareta Dagostino » Do 8. Jan 2015, 10:52

Maybe, you can get a version with modify permission to solve the colour thing? :lol:

Kindly,
Mareta
https://hyperweb.eu => Server-Tutorial für Linux mit OpenSim, konfigurierter OpenSim Arriba Binärdownload!
Mareta Dagostino

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Do 8. Jan 2015, 18:02

Well, I actually was told my girl Maggie did the same to the cube as Odd when she was young, so I thoughtfully put in a button for "Replace Every Sticker, Ending Twisting, Turning and Torment", "Reset" for short. Plus, the cube and script are full permissions. So, if you think doing the Rubik's Cube is a guarantee for insanity, try understanding the script and you are on the high way to the asylum.

(Travesting the wonderfully crazy old song from 1981, "The Cube" by Australian "Mike Brady and the Cubettes" (thanks to the two geek colleagues of mine who helped me find it after Miney posted her clip): "I didn't ask for a part of the action, so how could I know this damn contraption, would travel the world. The Cube!" ... "Guarantee for insanity!")

Thank you for finally showing me how to post YouTube clips here (with http instead of https), Miney.

Oh, and thank you for the appreciation, Odd. Have fun!
Zuletzt geändert von Magnuz Binder am Fr 9. Jan 2015, 12:36, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Minethere Always » Do 8. Jan 2015, 19:24

well, found this one, anyway-))

My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » So 25. Jan 2015, 10:16

There are now 600 new terrains added to the region Terrains in Metropolis (hypergrid.org:8002:terrains), varying in size between 256x256 m and 2560x2560 m. The terrains are soft, hilly islands or continents and released to the public domain, CC0. There are also 10 new var-regions for previewing these terrains, linked by teleporters from Terrains.
Magnuz Binder

Sculpted Earth

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Mi 18. Feb 2015, 17:19

The model of the sculpted Earth in the region Earth (hypergrid.org:8002:earth) has been updated, enlarging it to exact scale 1:100,000 (127.5 meters) with the terrain attenuated by a factor of 100, correcting a minor (0.4%) flaw in sculpts overlapping, adding observation decks, seats, teleporters, and 18 gliders on various paths you can ride to sniff low over the surface of the Earth. Just click teleporters and gliders to ride them, and stop gliders by standing up or toggle their movement by clicking them. Have fun exploring.
Bild
Magnuz Binder

MB Estate status report

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » So 12. Apr 2015, 12:59

Things are changing in life. One major change is that I live together with Maggie since 5 months, which means some priorities have changed. Before, meeting in virtual worlds was a big part in our relationship, but now, when we live in the same house and can sit next to each other by our computers, that has become a very small part. That also means we spend less time in Metropolis, and on social events there.

My latest major addition in Metropolis is a stub for a chemistry exhibition, temporarily located in region MB Sea 72 since 2015-03-07, but not announced before. At present there are models of the 20 essential amino acid and the hormone insulin, all in scale 10.000.000:1 (1 meter = 1 Angstrom). There are plans to add models of DNA, RNA and their constituents, carbohydrates, lipids and more basic organic molecules as well.
Bild

Lately much of my spare time has been spent digging into the OpenSimulator code and fixing a few minor things, but also trying to get a grasp on a few LSL functions unimplemented or buggy.

Today, I upgraded Maggie's and my 65 simulators in Metropolis to OpenSim 0.8.2.0 Dev PLUS Metropolis Edition [017] (Unix/Mono), and besides needing to tweak the scripts handling the installation some, it seems to have gone well. I always make a clean install, so probably it was good getting rid of a few caches with possibly corrupt files after a somewhat problematic upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 recently, and some experimenting with optimizing especially thread handling for OpenSim.

One definitely good thing with the upgrade is that the handling of large varregion terrains is much improved, so the previews of such in the regions Terrains 2 - Terrains 10 are quite enjoyable now. I actually spent almost a full hour flying along the coastlines of and exploring a 2560x2560 m terrain I rezzed from the terrain rezzer in Terrains 10, displaying about as smoothly as when I first tested it with ArribaSim.
Zuletzt geändert von Magnuz Binder am So 12. Apr 2015, 15:25, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Dings Digital » So 12. Apr 2015, 14:16

This is great. Natural science modells are such a good application of VR. You have already done some nice work before, and now this again! Good job!
Dings Digital

Beitragvon Minethere Always » So 12. Apr 2015, 14:27

interesting, cool, and congratulations-)
My Metro blogspace http://tinyurl.com/nlgvkk3
just another quasi-anonymous ephemeral wanderer...
Minethere Always

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Showcase