Height of steps in Opensim

* All about inworld objects
* Alles über Inworld-Objekte

Height of steps in Opensim

Beitragvon Impresario » Fr 30. Jan 2015, 19:01

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

I'm a long-time Second Life user and only recently created a few regions on the Metropolis grid. Ive created a lot of builds and scripted objects in SL and plan to give these away in OS. I've run across several scripting differences between the two environments, but those were fairly easy to identify and circumvent. One issue with my builds has turned out to be quite a nuisance and I'm just wondering if there is a better circumvention than what I've been doing.

I used a height of .5m for steps in SL and these never caused any problems for avatars to climb. I find that anything greater than .3m in OS stops my avatar. I've been lowering the heights as one fix, but that doesn't always fit the need. Another approach is to use phantom steps and invisible ramps without changing the height of the steps.

Is there a reason why OS has this difference?
Impresario

Re: Height of steps in Opensim

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Fr 30. Jan 2015, 19:53

Translate to English translate to German Translate to French Translate to Italian Translate to Spanish Translate to Portuguese Translate to Czech Перевести на русский язык 翻译成中国

OpenSim has two different physics engines regulating collisions between e.g. avatars, stairs and walls, the old Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) and the new BulletSim. Both behaves quite differently from the Havok physics engine in Second Life, even if BulletSim is more similar to Havok. Also, the main developer for BulletSim, Robert Adams, is still tweaking the engine, so it may be more like Havok when he's done, e.g.: http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=7164
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Mareta Dagostino » Fr 30. Jan 2015, 20:08

Would be great if this bug will be fixed soon. I use Bulletsim, and the maximum hight of steps is so low that almost everytime I must help the avas with transparent ramps.
https://hyperweb.eu => Server-Tutorial für Linux mit OpenSim, konfigurierter OpenSim Arriba Binärdownload!
Mareta Dagostino

Beitragvon Dings Digital » Fr 30. Jan 2015, 20:33

Yes, phantom steps andf invisible ramps are a common workaround in OS.
Also, jumping in Opensim is limited compared to SL
Dings Digital

Beitragvon Magnuz Binder » Fr 30. Jan 2015, 20:48

Stair stepping may have improved by commit 700543b1 from 2015-01-07, but this is not in the present release 0.8.0.3 from 2014-11-11 and has not been incorporated in ArribaSim as far as I can see.

These are recent physics related commits, but only those from before 2014-11-11 are in the present release version 0.8.0.3: commits by Robert Adams.
Magnuz Binder

Beitragvon Impresario » Fr 30. Jan 2015, 23:08

Thank you for all the insights! For now, I'll live with phantom stairs ans invisible ramps.

The place where invisible ramps are a real pain is circular staircases. I know there is a way to create spiral prims, but I never get that just right so it follows the shape of the phantom steps.
Impresario

Beitragvon Eryn Galen » Sa 31. Jan 2015, 11:39

Hey Impresario. If you have a lot to give away, maybe you want a shop on Metro's "Freebie" region? Think about it :)

As to spiraling prims: I use torus or tube, depending on what is required. Maybe I can help you there?
Eryn Galen

Beitragvon Impresario » Mi 4. Mär 2015, 18:53

Hi Erin,

I would like to take you up on the offer of a shop in Metro's Freebie region. Do you have a LM and how do I go about getting access to a store.

I should also mention that I have way too much stuff to use in a store (5 builds). I set up a region where I have made all my original SL items available. Aside from setting up some items in a store, perhaps I could also re-direct visitors to my sim.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Imp
Impresario

Beitragvon Eryn Galen » Do 5. Mär 2015, 20:32

Hi Imp,

the region is called Freebies. Just tp there and look around.

Best would be to box your stuff up or use a vendor. I can give you an empty one.
If you want a shop, just let me know, we will meet, I will invite you to the group, you choose a shop and are set to go ;)
Eryn Galen

Zurück zu Create & Objects / Bauen & Objekte